Friday, September 9, 2011

Abiding in Christ - Day 2 - Finding Rest


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”(Matthew 11:28-30 ESV)


Don't you want to rest?  


In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, don't you want to just stop, and retreat, and run from the chaos, and REST?


Imagine what true rest would look like:



  • delivered from every fear
  • supplied with every need
  • fulfilled by every desire met
  • no fear, no need, no desire - just rest
When Jesus calls you to Himself, He welcomes the weary one into His rest.  There is joy and delight initially, but the believer begins to worry, to fret, to work.  He sees his failures and tries harder.  Where is that rest that was promised?  Did Jesus fail to give rest?

Heaven forbid!

Jesus gives undisturbed rest to those who ABIDE in Him. 

He says,

  • become My scholars
  • yield to My training
  • submit to My will
Do you want to know the secret of how to get Perfect Rest?

Surrender!

Entire surrender to Jesus is the secret of perfect rest.  Give up your entire life to Jesus.  Take up His yoke.  Relax in His leading and teaching.  Be what He wills.  Do what He wills.  Abide in Him.

He says, "My yoke is easy."

The soul yields itself to obey, and the Lord gives the strength and the joy to do it.

The soul turns to the Master Teacher to learn; the Lord's gentleness meets every need.

The soul surrenders itself to abide in Jesus, the Lord's almighty love keeps and blesses.

Do not struggle.  Surrender.  Here are two illustrations to think about.


The weary traveller sees the inn, and heads there to rest.  Does he become more weary while resting in the inn?


The fretting child is comforted, resting in his mother's arms.  Does he feel like he is working while he sits on her lap?

The traveller throws himself on the bed, and rests.  The child relaxes in his mother's arms, and rests.  Resistance would not give rest.  Refusing to enter the inn would not bring rest to the weary one.

In the same way, resisting the yoke of Jesus makes life difficult.  He says, "My yoke is easy; my burden is light."

Abide in Jesus by giving yourself to be RULED, TAUGHT, and LED.  Rest in the arms of Everlasting love, and you will receive

  • STRENGTH for every duty
  • COURAGE for every struggle
  • BLESSING in every cross
  • and the JOY of LIFE ETERNAL in death itself



1 comment:

  1. I am resting in Jesus, hallelujah! I know
    That the blood of atonement makes me whiter than snow;
    I will trust in my Savior, and abide His control;
    For He loved me so dearly that He ransomed my soul.
    Refrain:
    Oh, my rest is so sweet,
    As I sit at Thy feet;
    I am resting, dear Jesus,
    In Thy favor complete.
    I am resting in Jesus, oh, how sweet are my years!
    He has banished my troubles, and removed all my tears;
    I am safe in His kingdom, and a heavenly calm
    Now abides in my bosom—glory be to the Lamb!
    I am resting in Jesus, my Redeemer and Friend,
    And the peace of His kingdom shall endure without end;
    Oh, my soul is transported in His favor divine,
    And there’s music, sweet music in this bosom of mine.
    I am resting in Jesus, what a blessed repose!
    I am living in triumph over death and all foes;
    I can smile at the tempest, hallelujah to God!
    I am free, and forever I will sing of the blood.

    Daniel S. Warner

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.