Friday, August 14, 2009

Get Wisdom

Wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

I'm not saying that I don't like jewels. I really, really like my diamonds. I like my ring with pearls and sapphires, inherited from my mother. "Bling" makes me happy. It puts a smile on my face.

I walked into the bank today, and the teller had on a flashy top. It was patterned, and had shiny sequins throughout the paisley pattern. She looked pretty. She felt pretty. She confided in me that her sister wouldn't be caught dead in that top, but that she didn't care. She liked it!

I GET that. One of my favourite tops is a V-neck brown, longsleeved top. The V is dressed up with sequins, and every time I wear it, I feel pretty. It doesn't matter to me that my friends don't like to wear clothes with bling. I DO. I even chose my glasses because they have little tiny "diamonds" at the temples.

Proverbs 8:10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

As it says in the Word, no matter how much I like my earthly possessions, nothing I desire compares with wisdom. Diamonds don't give me peace. Sapphires don't make me sing. Gold doesn't fill my heart with joy. Silver doesn't make me rest.

Wisdom does.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. God in His wisdom created this world with all of its beauty.

Psalm 104:24
O Lord, how manifold are your works!
In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.

He is all-wise. And He wants us to be like Him!

Consider these verses:

Psalm 90:12
So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.
We need to learn that our lives are but a vapour.
We're here today, and gone tomorrow.

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!
We gain wisdom as we begin to fear God
- acknowledge Him for Who He is,
and give Him the respect He is due.


Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.
If I studied my whole life
and knew everything there is to know about any subject,
but knew not God,
I would know nothing.
Let me not be a fool.
Let me seek wisdom and instruction
by reading the Bible every day!

Proverbs 16:16
Gold is pretty, but it will burn up.
Diamonds sparkle, but they will melt in the fervent heat.
Wisdom endures forever.

Proverbs 31:26
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
This is my desire. This is my prayer.

Get WISDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.