Tuesday, July 28, 2009

John Wesley on sending children to school...

“Let it be remembered, that I do not speak to the wild, giddy, thoughtless world, but to those that fear God. I ask, then, for what end do you send you children to school? “Why, that they may be fit to live in the world.” In which world do you mean, — this or the next? Perhaps you thought of this world only; and had forgot that there is a world to come; yea, and one that will last for ever! Pray take this into your account, and send them to such masters as will keep it always before their eyes. Otherwise, to send them to school (permit me to speak plainly) is little better than sending them to the devil. At all events, then, send your boys, if you have any concern for their souls, not to any of the large public schools, (for they are nurseries of all manner of wickedness,) but private school, kept by some pious man, who endeavours to instruct a small number of children in religion and learning together.”

I do firmly believe that we Christians can (and should!) love one another. We can (and should!) interact with other families who don't necessarily agree with us on every jot and tittle of our lives. I posted a video of Josh Harris exhorting the people in his congregation to love one another and not take sides on issues of education. I still firmly believe that.

However, I also believe that sending children to government schools is something that should be avoided unless the parents of those children are heavily involved. They ought to be there. They must be in constant dialogue with their kids, the teachers, the other parents.

This is the other side of the story (Thanks, Amy!):

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. I agree with that totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really enjoy Dr. Baucham's as a speaker - although I've only seen him via video. Have you seen his video called 'Children of Ceasar'? It got more good stuff for building confidence in homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...did I spell Ceasar right? Now I have to go look it up!

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.