Monday, May 11, 2009

Eyes of Faith



Tim Challies has done a review on a biography of John and Betty Stam, missionaries who were killed by Communists when their baby daughter was just a couple of weeks old.

It warms my heart to know that Betty, as a young girl, poured out her soul in poetry that contemplated Jesus.  At age ten Betty Stam wrote:

I cannot live like Jesus
Example though He be
For He was strong and selfless
And I am tied to me.

I cannot live like Jesus
My soul is never free
My will is strong and stubborn
My love is weak and wee.
But I have asked my Jesus
To live His life in me.

I cannot look like Jesus
More beautiful is He
In soul and eye and stature
Than sunrise on the sea.

Behold His warm, His tangible
His dear humanity.
Behold His white perfection
Of purest deity.
Yet Jesus Christ has promised
That we like Him shall be.

At age 18 she wrote:

Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes
All my own desires and hopes
And accept Thy will for my life.
I give myself, my life, my all
Utterly to Thee to be Thine forever.
Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit
Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt
And work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost now and forever.

2 comments:

  1. HI
    I came across your blog today and thought I would check it out:) What a blessing it was. I love Christ exulting poetry and I really enjoyed your post on motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Alicia. It's nice to "meet" you. I had a peek at your blog. It's so true that infertility is a test of faith. No matter what our trials are, God asks us, "Do you trust Me in this?" I will be checking out your blog further in the coming days. Meanwhile, may God continue to bless you as you grow in grace and in faith.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.