Thursday, August 13, 2015

Abounding in Thanksgiving

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. ~Colossians 2:6-7 ESV

We receive Christ as our Lord by grace through faith. This is a gift of God, not of works, lest any should boast. If we boast in anything, it is in the amazing goodness and faithfulness of a God who saves, who calls us to live in peace with Him and in harmony with our neighbour.

God leads His dear children along, orchestrating all aspects of our lives down to the minutest detail.

My life has been full of upheaval lately. Uncertainty abounds. Yet I trust in a God who is unchanging, steadfast, powerful - a Rock.

Last year, I renewed my license and took on a full time route as a bus driver. Not too long after I began, my company switched my route. I was a bit apprehensive, because the new route came with some rowdy kids, according to the many complaints I heard over the radio. Thankfully, with a lot of patience and consistent firmness, the kids' behaviour transformed and I ended up with a happy bus full of kids. They told me that they hoped I'd be their driver this coming year. The principal of the school told me that I was a great bus driver, and that they were blessed to have me.

So when I got the call informing me that the company had re-worked the routes, and that there was no route for me, I was taken aback. I thought the bus route, along with the painting business I am setting up, would provide enough income for us to pay our bills. Losing that steady income was a blow.

This made the plan to open a store that much more urgent.

I've been a homeschooling mom since 1983, and a pack rat to boot. This translates into an accumulation of far too many books, maps, binders, tapes, and other paraphernalia that I thought I needed or might need some day. It astounds me that over the past two years I have given away at least 200 boxes full of books. 

We've been sorting and tossing and organizing stuff since June. My eldest daughter has been an amazing help with all of the online set-up, and everything else - just so many things that the list is too long to mention.

I've had family members come whenever they can to help me, and yesterday a friend arrived, ready to work. I think she was shocked at the mess. I'm sure she had no idea how bad it would be, considering I've been talking about all the work we've been doing.  

She was amazing. No words of condemnation... she just pitched right in, and by the end of the day I had more hope than I've had in a long time. I know she was sent by our gracious Heavenly Father as His servant, to be an encouragement to me. I know she walks with Christ, rooted in Him, and because of that she has the ability to build others up. I am abounding in thanksgiving today.

There's no driving job, but there is a store that just might open on time, because God who orchestrates my entire world is providing exactly what I need.

He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. ~2 Corinthians 9:10-12 ESV




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.