Monday, April 23, 2012

If

Love through me, Love of God,
  Make me like thy clear air
Through which unhindered, colours pass
  As though it were not there.


Powers of the love of God,
  Depths of the heart Divine,
O Love that faileth not, break forth,
  And flood this world of Thine.
     ~Amy Carmichael


What does a life of love look like?  The sins of pride, selfishness, or cowardice are, at the root, simply a lack of love.  Christians who have been forgiven so much and loved so incredibly by our Beautiful, Merciful God must learn what it is to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge.  


The love of God was demonstrated on a hill called Calvary.  God sent His Son, His Only Begotten Son, to die in my place and to pay my debt in full.  This is A.MAZ.ING.  This ought to colour every one of my thoughts, my words and my deeds.  This Calvary love should move me to love others with a pure heart, fervently.



Years I spent in vanity and pride,
Caring not my Lord was crucified,
Knowing not it was for me He died
  On Calvary.
Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
    At Calvary.
By God's Word at last my sin I learned;
Then I trembled at the law I'd spurned,
Till my guilty soul imploring turned
  To Calvary.
Now I've giv'n to Jesus everything,
Now I gladly own Him as my King,
Now my raptured soul can only sing
  Of Calvary.
Oh, the love that drew salvation's plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
  At Calvary!


What do you know of Calvary love?



Amy Carmichael wrote a little book with the help of others at the Dohnavur Fellowship. It was simply called "If".  


If I can easily discuss the shortcomings and the sins of any; if I can speak in a casual way even of a child's misdoings, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
How often I comment on a child's rebellious attitude, or the lack of integrity in a family member.  I know nothing of Calvary love. 


If I can write an unkind letter, speak an unkind word, think an unkind thought without grief and shame, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
I don't have to look back a long time to remember an unkind word, and an unkind thought.  I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I do not feel far more for the grieved Saviour than for my worried self when troublesome things occur, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
I was interrupted today and had to deal with something I'd rather not be involved in.  Just today I worried about money, about relationships, about children.  Instead of thinking about what my Saviour feels about these troublesome things, I was self-centered.  I know nothing of Calvary love.


If, in dealing with one who does not respond, I weary of the strain, and slip from under the burden, then I now nothing of Calvary love.
Someone in my life does not respond.  He's slow to speak, and not great at communication.  I weary of the strain.  I want to run from the burden.  I know nothing of Calvary love.


Oh, Lord, teach me to love.  Remind me that each person who crosses my path is an image bearer.  Remind me that I do not know what You are doing in the life of another.  Help me to remember the grief You feel when You see people casually disregard Your way.  Give me patience, Dear Lord, and perseverance to continue pressing on for Your glory.


May the Love of God constrain me.  May I learn what it is to love.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.