Thursday, December 31, 2009

Come Thou Fount - Verse 1

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

I think I'll have to expand on my thoughts regarding this hymn. God is the fountain of every blessing - every good and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights, in whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. God doesn't change, and He is always good.

This is a cry from the songwriter to God, to come and tune his heart to sing about the fathomless grace of God. Without the Lord's work in our hearts, we'd want nothing to do with Him. The carnal man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, neither can he know them, for they are foolishness to him. Unless the Spirit tunes our hearts to sing His praise, we just won't do it. We'll give thanks to "Mother Nature"; we'll enjoy the beauty of creation; we'll gasp in wonder at the amazing development of a newborn baby. But without His grace, we'll never sing the praises of God who made it all.

I remember when the Lord first touched my heart and I began to walk with Him. The trees were more beautiful. The sun shone brighter. The birds' songs were more clear and sweet - I burst with the knowledge that this was God's world, and that He was MY God, and that I knew Him.

The melodious sonnets we Christians should sing mirror those praises of the angels who sit in the presence of God. Some day we'll indeed join in that heavenly chorus, but for now, we Praise the Mountain of God we're FIXED upon. This is the redeeming love of God. He redeemed us - bought us back from the slave market of sin, and paid the full price.

How can I not sing?

May God richly bless you in 2010, and may you sing His praises!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.