Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Poem to Ponder

"I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please;
not enough to explode my soul
or disturb my sleep,
but
just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine...

I want ecstasy, not transformation;
I want the warmth of the womb,
not a new birth.

I want about a pound of the Eternal
in a paper sack..
I would like to buy $3 worth of
God, please."

~ Wilbur Rees


Sadly, lots of people want just a little bit of God. They want to be able to pray once a week, at Sunday dinner. They want to be able to say, "God bless you!" and mean it, sort of like a good luck charm. They want the goodies, but not the gift.

The true gift is transformational. It consumes.

My God is a consuming fire.

1 comment:

  1. Yes He is indeed. Mom, nice new blog. I like this type. It's pretty. :)

    And that poem makes me sad. But in that good way.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.