Tuesday, November 9, 2010

From a Slave to a Child; From Duty to a Choice


Chorus: To see the Law by Christ fulfilled,
To hear His pardoning voice,
Changes a slave into a child
And duty into choice.

1. No strength of nature can suffice
To serve the Lord aright
And what she has, she misapplies,
For want of clearer light.
(Repeat chorus)

2. How long beneath the Law I lay
In bondage and distress
I toiled the precept to obey,
But toiled without success.
(Repeat chorus)

3. Then to abstain from outward sin
Was more than I could do
Now if I feel its power within
I feel I hate it too.
(Repeat chorus)

4. Then all my servile works were done,
A righteousness to raise
Now, freely chosen in the Son,
I freely choose His ways.
(Repeat chorus)
©1998 Kevin Twit Music.

I was listening to this song on the way to church the other day.  
I asked the children (the three youngest of our twelve) if they understood
 the meaning of the words.

We were all required to obey God perfectly.  We were under the law,
and commanded to obey each precept.  We tried, and failed.
We toiled without success.

So God the Father gave His only begotten Son, who obeyed the Law
and fulfilled all of its requirements.

Then, He pardoned His children on the merits of Christ's finished work.  

All of our servile works were done in order to make ourselves righteous,
but it was an impossible task.

But JESUS did it.  

Now we obey God, not out of duty, but because of love's constraining power.  
We are no longer slaves, but SONS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.